24 October 2010

You gotta start somewhere


Dictionary.com has a number of definitions for the word "patient". When used as a noun, the word is defined thusly: "a person who is under medical care or treatment". When the word is used as an adjective, it is defined as: "bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like." While not entirely defined by these definitions, both accurately describe my life - the later definition being most applicable to me during the last year. At least, I hope it does.

Why use the word "patient" to define myself? In all honesty, I'm something of a chronic patient. Having a chronic illness will do that to you. However, more recently I've become something of a professional "patient". I have been on disability since June of 2009.  Not necessarily unusual, you say - except that I’m only 37 year old. And I have developed a series of mystery ailments that have yet to be completely defined. Which is further complicated by the chronic illness I was diagnosed with as a child. All of which leaves me feeling as though I should be writing a script for the TV show “House”.

Over the past year, I have gathered a team of excellent physicians and agreed to dive headlong into the wild and mostly unknown world of treating serious illness in the American medical system. I undertake this adventure not for investigative purposes – I simply want my life back.  

Why use the moniker "fortune cookie" for this blog? My focus is on the fortunes themselves, rather than the cookie. Like the cookie, doctors are the delivery vehicle for the fortune, which is in this case, a diagnosis. However, much like American fortune cookie fortunes, a diagnosis is often somewhat cryptic and most definitely open to interpretation.

Over the next several months, I’ll cover some of the hidden costs and challenges of dealing with a chronic illness. Look for the following items at the top of some blog entries:
1.   Amount of money spent on parking
2.   Number of miles driven each day
3.   Social interaction moment

You may be asking, “How in the name of heck are these things relevant to the American medical system?” Let me explain:
1.  Most hospitals and physicians office charge for parking because they are located in city centers. Several of them seem to do it simply because they can.
2.  I live in the suburbs. The major of top quality medical care is located at city centers. Why? Refer back to what I said about parking fees.
3.  The majority of my day is spent with doctors, on the phone with insurance companies, or in the car driving to or from an appointment. It gets pretty lonely. I’ve been told to do something each day not related to my condition. It’s a challenge.

So, if you’re feeling brave, willing to laugh at some dark humor or just curious about how things really work for patients in America, check back here from time to time. I promise, an interesting fortune will be waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment